Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tragedy at State College

'This is a tragedy,' Paterno says. 'It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.'  (Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059268/Penn-State-scandal-Matt-Millen-breaks-air-number-victims-DOUBLES.html#ixzz1d4Gw7D)



As a former collegiate football player and currently a HS football coach, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Coach Joe Paterno affectionately known as "Joe Pa."  For his impeccable 46 year coaching career to come to an abrupt halt like this is totally unthinkable.  Joe Pa has been a model coach known as a father figure and philanthropist by many he often garnered due honor and respect.  Now the question is raised whether or not this inexcusably repulsive act allegedly committed by former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky will tarnish his legacy.  The question is raised rightful so amidst the current climate.  I believe to an extent it will publicly but on an individual bases I believe not.  I will still hold the same respect and admiration I had before for Coach Joe Pa  as a football coach even though from a moral stand point he should have done more.  Which is why ultimately the school board had to make the very tough decision to fire him.  Some critics like Stephen A. Smith suggest that he should have went months ago but it appears the powers that be conveniently waited until he passed Eddie Robinson's coaching record for most wins.

However so, the elephant in the room is the abomination allegedly committed on his watch, which raises public concern of could he have done more than just reporting it to school's AD at the time.  Because this alleged crime involves sodomizing young boys is the part that one cannot stomach.  Like former Penn State stand out and current ESPN analyst Matt Millen put it "'I get mad,' Millen said as he broke down in tears. 'It's pretty disturbing. It makes you sick to see that this could happen to this level.'" Sure coach could have taken it further but I'm sure he felt he did the right thing by going to his AD, as it was the AD's job to take it further.  In my humble opinion that is who dropped the ball here and he was rightfully let go, as well as the school's President.  The former grad assistant Mike McQueary who supposedly reported the infraction also thought he did the right thing by following the chain of command.  I respect chain of command no doubt but I as a full grown man witnessing an act of the sort would have done more than follow chain of command.  My moral obligation radar would have caused me to take action into my on hand.

The other elephant in the room, that plays a major role is the fact that most of the young boys allegedly assaulted were African American.  I do not want to play the race card here but one must pose the question is this why, this story was not broken much sooner.  I'm sure the chain of command knew that the majority of the boys were African American. This incident was swept under the rug initially an it implied that young African American males are not valued in this country.   At the end of the day as my mother would always say "what ever is in the dark will come to the light, you just watch, wait and see."  Her words are forever true and as time goes all the information about this case will come to the light.  

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families because they are going through a very difficult time to say the lease.  I pray justice is served justly and that all parties involved are held accountable.  We just have to sit back and watch as this thing unfolds and not let emotions take over good common sense and decency.  As for Joe Pa, I know he will be able to move forth and find a way to be of service to all involved for the benefit of the common good--a trait that he has exemplified throughout his long coaching career.  It is indeed a tragedy but time heals all wounds.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...